Dr. Sajjad Akhtar has 20 years of varied research and teaching experience in the economic profession. He served as the Director of Center for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution and Director (Research and Policy) Pakistan Institute of Trade and Development. He held the positions of Senior Research Economist/Associate Professor in the Applied Economics Research Center, (University of Karachi), Principle Economist in the Social Policy and Development Center, and Economic Adviser in the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency. His experience in applied research span both micro and macro economic subjects that include household studies in saving/consumption behavior, environment, public finance, poverty, income distribution, education, labour and employment, macro modeling of Pakistan and Saudi Arabian economy, trade and exchange rate issues.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND OUTPUT
Experienced Economist with a hands-on experience of managing, conducting and providing leadership to economic research, evidence (primary and secondary data) based policy analysis and monitoring and evaluation of social and economic programs and indicators. These qualifications span economic areas of Macroeconomic Modeling, Agriculture, Monetary, Poverty measurement and Income Distribution, Education, Labor, Household Studies, Public Finance, Environment and Regional Economics. Well-versed in mathematical and statistical modeling of national economies and social and economic sub-sectors. Providing intellectual, organizational leadership and contributing to national publications (i.e., MDGs Reports, Economic Surveys and Social Development Reviews) and advocating policy options and interventions. Gained the above experience by working in: Applied Economics Research Center, University of Karachi; Social Policy and Development Center; Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency; Center for Research on Poverty and Income Distribution; Pakistan Institute of Trade and Development and Management Systems International. Consultancies conducted for UNDP (CO, New York, Jordan), DFID, GIZ, World Bank Resident Mission, ILO, OXFAM, WFP, SEBCON Population Council CO, and SDPI. Teaching experience at the graduate and post-graduate level in Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics, Forecasting Methods, Introductory Statistics and Development Economics. Well versed in IT software MSWORD, MSEXCEL and MS POWERPOINT and statistical software, SPSS, STATA and EVIEWS. Author, Co-author of 5 national reports on MDGs and Climate Change (CPEIR), 16 refereed journal articles, 21 research Reports, 20 consultancy reports, 11 discussion papers and 5 evaluation reports (detailed list attached)
ECONOMIC CONSULTANT July 2013- Dec 2015
- Team Leader for drafting Pakistan Millennium Development Goals Report 2013, sponsored by UNDP.
- Conducted Rapid Appraisal for Employment Situation of KP sponsored by ILO.
- Value for Money Analyst on Educational Innovations of DFID and implemented by DAI
- Public Finance Management Specialist in; Pakistan: Climate Public Expenditure and Institutional Review (CPEIR) sponsored by UNDP Pakistan and Ministry of Climate Change.
- Background paper for African Human Development Report 2015, assigned by UNDP, New York.
- End-line Evaluation of Educational Innovations (Broad Class and MDF) of DFID, implemented by DAI
- Population Dynamics and SDGs for Population Council, CO, Pakistan.
SENIOR EVALUATION SPECIALIST Dec 2011- June 2013
Management Systems International, CO, Pakistan
- Managing Evaluation Studies of USAID projects from the stages of conceptualization, preparing scope of work, assessing human resource requirement and planning and supervising study cycle.
- Team leader as well team member for evaluating studies.
ECONOMIC CONSULTANT Aug 2010- Nov 2011
- Completed assignment with MOF (Pakistan), ILO, UNDP Jordan in the area of Institutional Assessment, Poverty Pockets and Labor Economics
- Completed assignments with DFID and DEC (UK) in the area of Institutional Assessment, Program Evaluation, Education Economics and RTE of Flood Affected Areas
DIRECTOR (RESEARCH & POLICY) Aug 2009- July 2010
Pakistan Institute of Trade and Development,
Ministry of Commerce, Islamabad,
- Strategizing and designing Research Program of the Institute
- Managing and directing research on various dimensions of Pakistan International Trade and Services with a team of 10-12 mid-level and junior researchers
- Convenor of in-house Research Publications Unit
- Member Faculty for Training Courses of the Institute
ECONOMIC CONSULTANT January 2008 – July 2009
- Completed assignments for World Bank Resident Mission-Islamabad, GIZ, WFP/FAO, DFID, Population Council, OXFAM and Ministry of Finance, Pakistan
- Assignments were in the area of Education Economics, Agriculture Economics, Demographic Transition, Monitoring and Evaluation and Poverty
DIRECTOR Nov 2004-Dec 2007
Center for Research on Poverty Reduction
And Income Distribution, Islamabad,
- Responsible for all aspects of project management; research, administrative and Budget for the UNDP funded project.
- Leadership in formulating and carrying out research agenda of the center in the area of a) Poverty measurement, b) Income Distribution, c) Employment Generation and d) Monitoring and Evaluation of MDGs.
- Supervising background research and preparing policy inputs/briefs on Poverty issues for the Planning Commission.
- As a Team Leader contributing Chapters on Poverty/Income Distribution/Social Sectors to National Publications: Economic Survey of Pakistan, Annual Development Plan, Medium Term Development Framework (2005-10) and Vision 2030.
- Coordinating, Supervising and Monitoring progress on MDGs through the publication of Pakistan Millennium Development Goals Report for the year 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- Oversight of all aspects of performance of 10 researchers (subject specialists, research officers) and 5 administrative staff:
- Research Publications and MDGs Reports are listed on www.cprspd.org
ECONOMIC ADVISOR 2000-2004
Research and Statistics Department,
Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,
- Solely responsible for developing a 50-equation plus macro-econometric model for Saudi Arabian economy for in-house use. Currently it is in use for forecasting annual performance of the Saudi Arabian macro indicators.
- Preparing research briefs on current international macroeconomic issues for Governor/Deputy Governor’s participation in World Bank/IMF, G-20 and BIS meetings
- Reviewing and commenting on the latest IMF/BIS working papers for their relevance to Saudi economy as an input in the macro policy decision making at the Agency.
- Contributing and reviewing the final draft of the annual report of the agency.
PRINCIPAL ECONOMIST 1996-2000
Social Policy and Development Centre, Karachi,
- Head of the Macro Modeling Group: Responsible for running and generating macro policy analysis and policy scenarios from the Integrated Social Planning and Macro Economic Model (250 equation plus model) for Pakistan developed by this Centre in 1995.
- Lead, guided and supervised 2 researchers for further enrichment and up-dation of the Model to 1998.
- Provided macro-economic analysis to in-house publication “Annual Social Development Review” for the years 1998, 1999 and 2000.
- As part of the team contributed to contractual research studies in Energy Economics.
SENIOR RESEARCH ECONOMIST/ASSOC. PROFESSOR 1981-86, 1992-96
Applied Economics Research Centre, University of Karachi,
- Team leader and senior team member in 10 contractual research assignments (10 research reports) in the area of macro-economics, monetary economics, public finance, input-output analysis, micro-econometrics, environment and agriculture economics.
- Conducted and published in-house research (9 refereed articles) in the area of household saving behavior, agriculture, monetary and environment economics.
- Taught macroeconomics, econometrics and statistics to post-graduate students in the M.Phil program of the Centre.
- As an adjunct professor to Department of Economics, University of Karachi, taught Development Economics to Post-graduate students.
- Completed Ph.d in Economics 1987-92 on scholarship from the Centre.
VISITING ECONOMIST 1986-87
World Bank Resident Mission, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Preparing First Drafts of Monthly Report on politics, economy, policy interventions and data for HQ in Washington.
- Input into occasional economic policy papers prepared by the short-term missions
- Assisting HQ missions in economic work
- Supervision of Technical Assistance studies.
- Member Technical Committee for Change of Base of Price indices, Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, June 2015.
- Member Board of Studies, Beaconhouse National University, Lahore, Pakistan, June 2008-2012.
- Member Sub-group on Macro Economic Framework, Economic Advisory Board, Govt. of Pakistan, Nov-Dec 1999.
- Chairman, Sub-Committee for Revising Investment Series, National Income Accounts Committee, Federal Bureau of Statistics. Govt. of Pakistan, Aug 1997-June 1998.
- Member, Panel of Economists for the Ninth Plan, Planning Commission, Govt. of Pakistan, April 1997- January 1998.
- Member, Modeling Group for the Ninth Plan, Government of Pakistan, April 1997-March 1998.
- Interest Rate Review Committee, State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), Nov, 1993- May 1994.
- Tariff Reform Committee, Ministry of Commerce and Tourism, September 1993.
- Ph.d Economics (1992), Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX, USA
- Master in Political Economy (1981), Boston University, Boston, USA
- Master in Economics (1976), University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan
- Consultant to UNDP-RBA NEW YORK, for writing background paper on “Analyzing the multiplier effect of gender equality on achievement
- of the MDGs and Post 2015 Agenda for Africa” for Africa Human Development Report, 2015, April-July 2015.
- Consultant to UNDP JORDAN and Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, (MOPIC) Govt. of Jordan, on the “Study of Poverty Pockets in Jordan” August 2011
- Statistical Consultant to WEIGO (USA) on the study “Home-Based Workers in Pakistan” July-Nov 2013
- Consultant to Population Council on “Population and SDGs: Relevance for Pakistan” Dec 2015.
- Public Finance Management Specialist for UNDP on “Climate Public Expenditure Institutional Reform Study (CPEIR)” March 2014-Dec 2014.
- Consultant to ILO Country Office on “Employment Situation in KP: A Background Study” Oct 2013-January 2014.
- Senior Consultant to Country Office UNDP on “Pakistan Millennium Development Goals Report 2013” July-Sept 2013.
- Consultant to Country Office GIZ on “Assessing Inequities in the ICT Schooling System” Aug-Sept 2012
- Economist in 2 Member Team for MOF (Pakistan) on “Institutional Assessment of Strengthening of Poverty Reduction Strategy Monitoring” Dec 2011-March 2012
- Team Member (National Economist) for DFID on preparing “Business Case for Education Fund for Sindh” June 2011
- Team Leader for the ILO Study on “Searching the Invisibles: A Study of Home Based Workers in Pakistan” Dec 2010-March2011
- Consultant to DFID for the study on “Economic Appraisal of Education Innovation Fund” November 2010
- Team member (Local Consultant) of DEC Mission on “RTE of UK Based NGOs during Pakistan Floods” December 2010
- Resident Consultant to ILO Country Office on finalizing 4 reports on “Employment Trends in Faisalabad + Outlines for Pakistan Employment Trends in a) Wages and b) Informal Employment” March 2010
- Consultant to Hagler Baily for a study on assessing the “Macroeconomic Benefits of Reko Diq Copper Mining Project in Baluchistan” Nov 2009
- Consultant to DFID and World Bank Resident Mission for the study on “Projecting Primary School Enrolments in Punjab 2010-2015” July 2009
- Consultant to World Bank Resident Mission for the Study on “Economic Appraisal of Punjab Education Sector Project” Jan-Mar 2009
- Consultant to GTZ for the study on “Economic Appraisal of TEVT Sector of Pakistan” Dec 2008
- Consultant to WFP for the FAO study “Medium and Long-term Impact of Rising Food Prices” Oct-Nov 2008
- Team Leader on SEBCON study “Baseline Study on Baluchistan Area Development Project” sponsored by UNDP, Sept-Dec 2008
- Consultant to SDPI for the DFID study on “Earthquake Economic Appraisal”, August 2008.
- Consultant to Ministry of Finance, GOP for the Chapter “Poverty and Income Distribution” Pakistan Economic Survey 2007-08, June 2008.
- Consultant to Population Council, Pakistan on the study, “Demographic Transition and Household savings: Evidence from Pakistan” May 2008
- Consultant to OXFAM on the study “The Role of Private Sector in Poverty Alleviation” March-April 2008.
Akhtar S, et al,
Midterm Performance Evaluation of USAID Pakistan Trade Project, Management Systems International, May 2013
Akhtar S, et al,
Midterm Evaluation of USAID DELIVER, Management Systems International, Feb 2013.
Akhtar S, et al,
Mid-term Evaluation of USAID’s Merit and Needs Based Scholarship Program, Management Systems International, Islamabad, June 2012.
Akhtar S, et al,
Evaluation of Link Roads in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Management Systems International, March 2012.
MACRO, MONETARY AND INTERNATIONAL ECONOMICS
Akhtar S, and Yasmin A.Wahab
Post-ATC Threats to Pakistan’s Textile and Clothing Exports: Identification of Product Lines at Disaggregated Level, Pakistan Institute of Trade and Development (PITAD) Research Report 01/2011, March 2011.
Impact of Terrorist Attacks on Pakistan’s Exports, Pakistan Institute of Trade and Development (PITAD), Draft, June 2010
Macroeconomics of Food Inflation, NUST Journal of Business and Economics, Vol 2, No.1, June 2009
Akhtar S, and Eisa Al-Eisa,
Inflation in GCC Countries: Implications for the GCC Monetary Union,
Draft, March 2003.
Is there Seasonality in Pakistan’s Merchandise Exports and Imports? The Univariate Modelling Approach, Vol. 42, No.1, Spring 2003, Pakistan Development Review.
Akhtar S, and Mansoor Ahmed,
Macro Determinants of Poverty: Preliminary Evidence from Pakistan, Vol. 5, No.4, January 2004, Pakistan Business Review.
Akhtar S, and Fauzia Malik,
Pakistan’s Trade Performance vis-à-vis Its Major Trading Partners, Vol.39, No.1, Spring 2000, Pakistan Development Review.
Team member of ‘Promoting Opportunities for the Poor’, Chapter 4, In Social Development in Pakistan, Annual Review 2000, Published by Oxford University Press, Karachi.
Lead Author of ‘Economy in Crisis’ and ‘Towards a Sustainable Path of Development’, Chapter 1 & 2, In Social Development in Pakistan, Annual Review 1999, Published by Oxford University Press, Karachi.
Lead Author of ‘Economic Growth and Social Development’, Chapter 1, In Social Development in Pakistan, Annual Review 1998, Published by Social Policy and Development Centre, Karachi.
Globalization of Pakistany Economy. Autarky or Dependence? In Research in Human Capital and Development, Volume 11, (Part B), Edited by R.Dahel and I.Sirageldin, Pages 441-467, JAI Press Inc,1997.
Akhtar S, Sajid Manzoor
Demand for Financial Assets in Pakistan, Vol.33, No2. Summer 1994, Pakistan Development Review.
Small and Micro Enterprises Promotion in Pakistan, Informal Sector Study No.1. Published by Swiss Development Council and Friedrich Ebert Stifting. 1992.
Inflow of Remittances in Pakistan- Source, Size and Impact on the Economy. International Banking Published by the Institute of Bankers, 1986.
Estimating Consumption Functions for Pakistan, Vol.II, No.2, Winter 1983. Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics.
Akhtar,S, et al.
Household Saving Behavior in Rural Pakistan, AERC Research Report, October 1998.
Dependency, Urbanization, Education and Household Savings: Some
Preliminary Evidence from Pakistan. Quarter IV, 1987, Saving and Development.
Saving-Income Relationship in Urban Pakistan; Evidence from HIES
1979., Vol V, No.1, Summer 1986, Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics.
Household Saving Behavior in Urban Pakistan, AERC Research
Report No.53, Oct 1986.
ECONOMICS OF EDUCATION
An Econometric Evaluation of Pakistan’s National Education Policy 1998-2010, Vol. XVIII, No.2, April 2004, Journal of Educational Planning and Administration.
Do girls have a higher school drop-out rate than boys? A hazard rate
analysis of evidence from a third world city.. February 1996. Urban Studies
Kemal, S, Sajjad Akhtar, et al.
Community Supported Girls Primary Education in Sindh: Achievements and Opportunities. Prepared for Overseas Development Administration (ODA) and The British Council. March, 1995
Gender bias in the allocation of quality and quantity of education.
Evidence from a third world city (Draft 1995)
Intra-household Allocation of Human Capital Investments in Urban
Pakistan. Ph.d Thesis, Southern Methodist University, 1992.
Akhtar S, Tazeem-ur-Rehman.
Modeling the Cotton Sector of Pakistan: A Preliminary Empirical Investigation June 2009. www.icac.org/econ_stats/country_fact_sheets/english.html
Akhtar S, Mohammad Nishat.
Explaining Variations in Cotton Yields: A Factor Analysis Approach,
Oct-Dec 1988, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Akhtar, S, Tariq Husain
Fertilizer Credit (draft), AKRSP, Gilgit, 1986.
Effects of Timing and Number of Sprays on Cotton Yields in Sindh.
An Exploratory Analysis Vol.XXXVI, No.2, Summer 1985, Pakistan
Rizvi S, Sajjad Akhtar et al
Evaluation of Cotton Maximization Project (Tharparker District),
Akhtar, S. et al
Impact of Regulatory Duty on Import of Luxury Goods and Revenue generation: Analysis of Monthly data July 2007-June 2009 PITAD Working Paper No.01/2011, January 2011
Pasha H, Sajjad Akhtar, et al
Tax Policy Simulation Study. Dec 1993.
Masood Q, Hafiz Pasha, Sajjad Akhtar, et al
The Study on the Quantification of Tax Expenditure in Income Tax.
ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE
Akhtar,S. et al,
Team member of Pakistan: Climate Public Expenditure and Institutional Reform 2015, UNDP Pakistan
Akhtar S, Jeffrey Vincent
A Case Study of Pakistan in “Structural Adjustment, the Environment, and Sustainable Development” Edited by David Reed, World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Pps 225-262, Earthscan Publications Ltd, London, 1996
Akhtar S, Haroon Jamal, Akhtar Hai
Economic Reforms and the Environment in Pakistan. AERC Research
Report No.102, Oct.1994.
Akhtar. S, Naeem Sarwar
Social Development and Quality of living in Districts of Pakistan:
Comparative Ranking between 1998 and 2004-05. CRPRID Discussion paper No.16, Nov 2007.
Akhtar. S, Nisar Ahmad K, Naeem Sarwer
Ranking of Districts by Quality of Housing Indicators: A Comparison of Census 1998 and CWIQ 2004-05 data. CRPRID Research Report No.4, June 2007
Akhtar. S, et al
Pakistan Millennium Development Goals Report, 2006.
A Settlement Hierarchy in Sindh Province, AERC Research Report
Sub-sector Paper on Vegetable Ghee and Oil Industry for Pakistan: Industrial Regulatory Policies. Vol I, Main Report, Report No.7095- Pak, The World Bank, Jan 1988
Akhtar S, Joann Vanek
Home-Based Workers in Pakistan: Statistics and Trends, WEIGO Statistical Brief # 9, December 2013.
Akhtar S, Saadiya Razaak
Child Domestic Labour in Pakistan: Overview, Issues and Testable Hypothesis; Discussion Paper No.1, Centre for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, June 2005
Akhtar S, Lubna Shahnaz
Understanding the Youth Unemployment Conundrum in Pakistan: Preliminary Empirical Macro-Micro Analysis, Vol 49, No.2, April-June 2006, Pp.233-248. Indian Journal of Labour Economics
Akhtar, S et,al
Unpaid Family Helpers: Unraveling the mystery of falling Unemployment rate. Discussion Paper No.17, Center for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, Jan 2008
POVERTY AND INCOME DISTRIBUTION
Akhtar S, et al.,
Pakistan 2005 Earthquake: An Assessment of Impoverishment Risks. Research Report, Center for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, February 2006
Akhtar S, Naeem Sarwar
Water Availability and Poverty among Non-farm Rural Households: Evidence from Sample Survey of few Districts in Punjab. Discussion Paper No.7, Centre for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, August 2006
Akhtar S, Maqsood Sadiq
Occupational Status and Earnings Inequality: Evidence from PIHS 2000-01 and PSLM 2004-05, Vol. 47, No.2, Summer 2008, The Pakistan Development Review, Pp 197-213.
Budget 2006-07: Implications for Poverty and Income Distribution, Discussion Paper No.6, Centre for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, July 2006.
Budget 2007-2008: Implications for Poverty and Income Distribution, Discussion Paper No.15, Centre for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution, September 2007
Trends in Regional Inequalities: Evidence since 1998, Lahore Journal Of Economics, Special Edition, April 2008.
Akhtar S, et al
Poverty Dynamics of Female Headed Households: Evidence from PIHS 2000-01 and PSLM 2004-05, Draft, CRPRID, June 2008
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AT AERC/NUST
April 2009 to July 2009 Executive MBA Class
Quantitative Methods for Decision-Making
Book: Quantitative Methods for Business by Donald Waters.
Oct 1999 to Dec 1999 IIIrd Quarter, M.Phil Class of ‘2000.
Applied Econometrics and Computer Applications
Book: Econometrics and Data Analysis for Developing Countries by Chandan Mukherjee, Howard White and Marc Wuyts.
June 1997 to Aug 1997 IInd Quarter, M.Phil Class of ’98.
Book: Macroeconomics for Developing Countries
by Raghbendra Jha.
June 1996 to Aug 1996: IInd Quarter, M’Phil Class of ’97.
Book: Macroeconomic Theory and Policy
Sept 1995 to Nov 1995: IIIrd Quarter: M’Phil Class of `96.
Applied Econometrics and Computer Applications.
Book: Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts
by Pindyck and Rubinfeld.
April 1994 to June 1994: IInd Quarter: M`Phil Class of `95.
Book: Econometric Methods by J.Johnston
Dec 1992 to Feb 1993: Ist Quarter: M`Phil Class of `94.
Book: Elements of Econometrics by Kmenta
Feb1992 to May 1992 IInd Quarter: M`Phil Class of`93.
Book: Macroeconomics by Dornbusch & Fischer.
June 1981 to Sept 1986 Three Semesters: Development Economics
One Semester: Introductory Statistics
One Semester: Macroeconomics
Half Semester: Forecasting Methods
Jan, 1981 to May, 1981 One Semester:
Teaching Fellow in the Introductory Macroeconomics
Economics Dept, of Book: Macroeconomics by Wonnacott & Wonnacott.
FEW RECENT ARTICLES IN NATIONAL DAILIES
- Impact of RD: Lessons from Economic History, Business Recorder, December 2015.
- Failure is good for Success, Business Recorder, August 2015
- Political Regimes and MDG Performance, Business Recorder, June 2014
- Seven Sins of Target Setting: The MDG Fiasco, Business Recorder, March 2014
- Poverty Status: Another Dilemma for the New Government, Business Recorder, June 2013.
- Managing Easy Monetary Policy, Business Recorder, November, 2011
- West in Search of Virtuous Cycle of Growth, Business Recorder, Sept 2011
- Research on Poverty: An Obituary, Business Recorder, July 2011
- Salvaging MDG Commitments, Business Recorder, October 2010
- Flood Surcharge on Luxury Items, The Express Tribune, October 2010
- Stagflation and Monetary Policy, Business Recorder, September 2010
- Post-Flood Macroeconomic Scenario, The NEWS, August 2010
- Poverty and Upcoming NFC Award, Business and Finance, THE NEWS, October 2008
- Return to the Begging Bowl, Economic & Business Review, DAWN, August 2008